Sunday, January 15, 2012

Where's the map?

Well, it's been another accident-laden weekend here in País Vasco! As per usual, Dana and I begin our days with the best of intentions, only to have all plans fail miserably. Friday night, we planned to go out into Bilbao, but were still feeling unsure about whether or not the Maria's would be imposing a curfew. It turns out they aren't, but at that point it was too late, so we stayed in. However the Maria's have been slowly sneaking more and more ham into our diets, which has proved problematic for my digestive system.
Saturday we had planned a lovely day in San Sebastian, a popular beach area about an hour north-east of Getxo. We drove up with the family from ASB, with their two girls Ainhoa and Naroa. We had a great time chatting with them in the car, singing Adele, exchanging vocab words, etc. Then we went to an American-style diner called Peggy Sue's for lunch, which was hilarious. They served burgers named after celebrities like James Brown and Aretha Franklin, chicken fingers, and french fries (and luckily, "vegetal" sandwiches). It was the cleanest possible version of American food you have ever seen.
"We serve you!" Featuring genuine American wallboxes.











Then Dana and I walked around San Sebastian while Naroa went horseback-riding at her uncle's house nearby. It really is a beautiful city, and is known as the pintxo capital. There were tons and tons of pintxo bars, which a huge variety we had not seen anywhere else.
Here are some lovely seaside views:

It's always gray.

Here's an example of the weird combinations of architecture that are everywhere.


Unfortunately before we could eat any of these delectable pintxos, I was stricken with what was probably the worst stomachache of my life. I had been feeling ill since the morning, but figured it would pass. I felt dizzy and sick after lunch, and after walking around for three hours in 3 degree weather, I almost passed out on the street. Edurne went into "mom" mode and brought me back to her brother and sister-in-laws', both of whom happen to be doctors. They checked me out, gave me medicine, and let me sleep for a few hours. Their whole family is unbelievably kind, I'm so grateful for them. Our home stay family is not exactly warm and welcoming, so it was nice to be in a real family environment for a while.
Current theories:
Our home stay family is A) trying to kill us and reap the benefits of our TCNJ life insurance, B) attempting to make us sick and not hungry so they can save money, or C) just conveniently forgetting about the time I told them I can't eat meat.
A) and B) are less likely, seeing as Dana is not feeling as feverish as me, so I guess I'll have to go with C) and use Google Translate to explain, "Your cooking is making me violently ill."
Today, armed with Pepto Bismol, Dana and I adventured out towards the so-called tourist destination of Las Arenas (The Sands) area of Getxo.
This is the Bizkaia Bridge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Las Arenas. It's the world's oldest transporter bridge.


The incredibly underwhelming, "Las Arenas."

We had the most fun on the weird workout equipment in the middle of the park.

Las Arenas was fairly boring; for a town named after its beautiful, sandy beaches we were unimpressed. Dana is from Toms River and I frequent the oversized beaches of Wildwood...comparatively, Las Arenas has nothing on the Jersey shore. Except for culture, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment